Enabling Voicemail for an Extension
When a new extension is added to an account voicemail must be enabled for the extension if it is attended to receive voicemail.
- Log in to a NocTel account.
- Click Extensions in the left-hand menu.
- Locate the extensions in the list or search for it using the search bar. Click the extension to open its options page.
- Locate the Voicemail widget.
- Click the Off Toggle to turn voicemail ON for the extension (Enabled).
Initial set up for a physical extension
If the voicemail has been enabled on the extension, you can use the phone to complete the setup:
- Press the voicemail button on the phone or dial *38.
- The system will guide the user in creating a greeting.
- Once the greeting is complete, the system will guide the user is selecting a PIN. (The PIN must be four digits and should not start with 0.)
- Once completed, end the call to end setup.
Initial set up for a virtual extension
If the account is using a virtual extension for a general voicemail use the following steps once voicemail for the extension has been enabled:
- If the virtual extension voicemail has not been enabled, do this now, see “Enabling Voicemail for an Extension” above.
- If the virtual extension has not been assigned an extension number, do so by clicking the pencil icon next to the extension name in the extension’s options page. Enter a number in the area provided and click Save. The extension must have a number to be accessed through the NocTel General Voicemail Menu.
- Click the arrow (>) in the voicemail widget to expand it.
- Assign the voicemail PIN is the box provided. After entering the PIN click outside the opened widget to close it and save the changes. The virtual mailbox must have a PIN to be accessed through the NocTel General Voicemail Menu.
The PIN should be at least four digits and not start with 0.
If a greeting has been pre-made and uploaded, add it now using the Greeting drop down list. To learn how to make and upload a greeting visit the Add a Recording page. If not use the following steps to create the greeting:
- On any phone dial *98.
- When prompted enter the extension’s number followed by the # key.
- When prompted enter the extension’s PIN followed by the # key.
- Press 7 for voicemail options.
- Press 1 for greeting set up. Follow the system prompts to record and set the voicemail greeting. Hang up when finished.
To receive email notifications of voicemail received for extensions:
- In the extension's options page click > to expand the Email Notification widget.
- Add a valid email to the email field.
- To have a copy of the recording attached to the email check the first box.
- Click outside the widget to save the changes.
Other Useful Documents
Voicemail Menu Flow Chart
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.